Under 21s

PL Cup report | Charlton 0-2 Wolves

4 min read

Charlton 0 Wolves 2 (Lopes 69, Edozie 78)

Wolves under-21s ended their Premier League Cup campaign with a 2-0 victory at Charlton Athletic.

Goals from Leo Lopes and substitute Tom Edozie secured three deserved points for James Collins’ side who finished above their opponents in Group C, although both sides were unable to progress in the competition despite tonight’s game.

Wolves had a glorious opening with less than four minutes on the clock as Oliver Tipton picked out the run of Marvin Kaleta with a pinpoint ball over the top but after the defender had got in behind, he could only fire wide of the post.

The visitors made a promising start and they almost got their reward when Leon Chiwome robbed the defender of the ball and picked out Fletcher Holman in the centre, but Prince Adegoke was brave to make himself big to deny the striker.

Matty Whittingham then did well to keep a half volley down when the ball fell to his boot on the edge of the area, however Adegoke watched it all the way to collect at the second attempt.

Wolves had the ball in the back of the net when they did well to keep the ball alive in an attacking area before it fell to Holman who superbly opened up his body and curled into the far corner. Unfortunately for him and the Old Gold, the offside flag was raised to deny him the opener.

At the other end, Ryan Huke rolled just wide for Charlton while Whittingham then had another chance for Wolves as he forced Adegoke into a diving save as he aimed for the far corner with a sweeping left-footed effort.

Josh Esen became the latest Wolves man to find Adegoke in the way when he pounced following Holman’s blocked effort, but the midfielder could only direct his shot straight at the Addicks stopper.

Half-time | Charlton 0-0 Wolves

The second half continued in the same vein as the first, with Wolves again frustrated by Adegoke in the Charlton sticks. Chiwome was bundled to the ground inside the area but play continued and Esen smashed an effort towards goal, with Adegoke flying across to sensationally prevent Wolves what looked to be a certain opener.

Lewys Benjamin was called into action for the first time when Toby Bower struck a free-kick with pace and power which beat the wall, but not the youngster in goal for the visitors as he tipped over the top.

And Benjamin had to be alert minutes later when Henry Rylah broke free down the right-hand side and aimed for the near post, however Benjamin was equal to it.

Lopes eventually gave Wolves what was a deserved lead on the balance of play with just over 20 minutes to play. Esen’s cross into the centre was controlled well by Lopes who wasted no time in striking low into the bottom left corner with his second.

Substitute Edozie made it two shortly after as he capitalised on a loose ball out by Adegoke and took the ball around the defender, before firing into the far corner.

Although both sides exit the competition, the result means that Wolves finish above the Addicks in third place in Group C.

Full-time | Charlton 0-2 Wolves


Wolves under-21s return to Premier League 2 action on Sunday afternoon with a trip to face Manchester City.


  • 11/02 Man City (A)
  • 19/02 West Brom (H)
  • 04/03 Newcastle United (H)
  • 11/03 Derby (A)
  • 15/03 Everton (A)


Charlton | Adegoke, Chin (Dench 61), Bower (Casey 76), Gough, Toure, Bakrin, Rylah, Williams (Santos 46), Mbick, Huke (Hand 61), Ladapo.

Subs not used | Batt.

Wolves | Benjamin, Kaleta, Hubner, Tipton, Mabete, Pond (Ojinnaka 77), Esen (Edozie 72), Whittingham (Rees 78), Chiwome, Holman (Keto-Diyawa 46), Lopes.

Subs not used | Storer.

Back to News

Other News